Wednesday, November 9, 2022

Hat trick

 

   What a difference a hat makes. 

   When I began going out in my wheelchair on my own, it was a huge step.  Although I was able to go a few blocks instead of miles as I used to go before my surgery, it gave me a real sense of liberation, being able to go out and be on my own, away from my attendants and not needing to rely on them. 

   However, I couldn’t go out like this if it wasn’t pretty warm, meaning below 80 degrees or perhaps even a bit higher.  Probably because of the neuropathy that I’ve had since the surgery, my arm would tighten or freeze up when it was cooler, and I would have a hard time driving my chair. There were times when I had difficulty getting home, Although it’s pretty warm here for a good part of the year, this did put a limit on this freedom.  It was all the more frustrating, because I particularly love going out on cool, crisp Fall and Winter days. 

   In fact, this is why I spent months last year going through the process of getting a “head array,” which allowed me to drive my chair with my head. (During these months, because I was afraid of getting stranded, I didn’t go out on my own, even though it was quite warm.)  I really thought it would solve the problem, but, after all the test driving (in a pretty controlled environment), I ended up having difficulty using it and not using it, and it was just in the way when I wasn’t using it – which was all the time.  So I had it removed and put away (perhaps for another day).

   Also, early this year, I decided to have my hair all cut off. It was time for a change and just made things easier, and I now keep my hair as short as possible without having my head shaved.  With my hair gone and my not using the head array and without the regular headrest which I also had removed this year, I realized that I could wear my hats again. 

   Over the years before my surgery, I collected quite a fun bunch of hats, which I used to dig wearing along with my overalls and high-tops or Doc Martens.  I’m not talking caps.  I’m talking cool beanies and Peruvian hats – the wool ones with ear flaps and yarn dangling down and able to be tied under the chin if desired. 

   So I began wearing my hats again and found – what do you know? – that I could go out alone in my chair when it was cooler. It’s said that most of your body heat escapes from your head, and it turns out this is true.  The hat keeps the heat in my body like a lid or even a heater. This means I can now go out on these nice Fall days.

   At least on most days.  I’ve been testing how cool is too cool or cold for me to go strolling.  It turns out that the upper 60’s is about my limit.  I can get by when it’s a bit cooler – low 60’s – but it’s not enjoyable.  When it’s colder, I may not totally freeze up and need my attendant to drive my chair as has happened in recent years.  (I’ll find out for sure in the coming months.) All this is good to know, and although I’m still trapped when it’s below the high 60’s, that’s still a good ten degrees cooler when I can go out on my own.  That’s ten more degrees, at least, of freedom. 

No comments:

Post a Comment