Wednesday, September 18, 2024

The Big Yellow House (no longer)

 

   On the drive north from Los Angeles along the coast on Highway 101 (and 1), right before Montecito, home of Oprah Winfrey and Prince Harry and Megan, and Santa Barbara, is the small, unassuming town of Summerland.  For all my life, as long as I can remember, there was a restaurant there along the highway called The Big Yellow House which was, literally, a big yellow house.  (It was actually one – the first? – of a small chain of big yellow houses known for being, literally, big yellow houses and for serving Thanksgiving dinner every day.) It was pretty much a landmark. 

   Last month, I went to Santa Barbara for a few days, and when passing through Summerland, I saw that the big yellow house is no longer The Big Yellow House.  The house is still there, but it’s now a furniture store (perhaps appropriately enough, in a house), and it’s not yellow but off-white or a very pale yellow.  What’s most interesting is that the big The Big Yellow House sign was still there, somewhat faded, along the highway – perhaps in recognition of its status as a landmark?  Or maybe as a memorial?

   It occurred to me, as I passed through, that it was like my life.  Or lives. 

   Ever since my spinal surgery seven years ago, it has been like I have a new life.  At least that’s what I’ve been telling myself.  The surgery left me far more disabled, being able to do less and having to do things in other ways. As I’ve written about before, this means I’ve had to make many adjustments including to my attitude and mindset, like being satisfied with sticking around Claremont most of the time and not always traveling as I used to and not going so far when I do travel. 

   Although I’ve made progress on this adjusting, it is, as I’ve also written about here, not easy.  The fact is that my old life, my life before the surgery, is still and always will be there – somewhat faded.  As the song goes, there is always something there to remind me of what I used to be able to do, of where I used to be able to go, of the way I used to do things.  It doesn’t help that I keep doing or trying to do things, like going to all of the concerts and performances at the colleges here, that I used to do (and I was getting tired of keeping up with it all before my surgery!).

   What makes it so hard is not that or just that my disability is worse. I am more disabled, because I have a new disability. I now have a spinal cord injury – the surgery to remove a virus damaged my spine, leaving me paralyzed from the chest down and only able to move my neck and my left arm to a limited extent (and also with considerable neuropathic pain). On top of, layered on, the Cerebral Palsy that I was born with. After all that it took for me to learn to live, to make a life, with Cerebral Palsy, I now, in my 60’s, have to learn to live and make a life, with a lot of new ways of doing things, with a spinal cord injury.   

   What’s hard is that, although my old structure, my old life, is still there with its signs, although somewhat faded, I am no longer The Big Yellow House.

No comments:

Post a Comment