Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Silent, and a shame(d)

 

   My neighbors are moving. 

   I don’t remember if the young couple moved into the bright yellow and white house right across the street before or after my spinal surgery about seven years ago, but it was roughly, very roughly, around that time.  From my front window, I was intrigued by the punk-rock husband with his tattoos and his band t-shirts who didn’t seem to work and who did the yard work, hung up Christmas lights and sometimes played guitar in the front yard – there might have been a few band practices over there after they first moved in – and by the wife who always smiled and who always seemed to be pregnant.  Indeed, most remarkable, I watched the couple have four boys – four boys! – over the years.  The oldest looks to be about 7; I remember when he was a toddler.  Several weeks ago, the whole family was out washing one of their cars, with the new toddler watching from a stroller. 

   Now they are moving, and I’m sad.  I’m sad that I won’t see this family grow, that I won’t be able to see the boys get older, go to junior high school and high school. 

   I’m also pissed.  I’m mad that I never found out what the father does and if he did or does play in a band.  I’m mad that I never found out the boys’ names. 

   I’m pissed at myself, pissed that I never went over and talked to them.  Just talked to them! 

   It sounds simple – going over and saying hi, like good neighbors supposedly do, but I guess it’s not for me.  For me, it’s more than being shy. 

   I’ve been thinking about this over the last year, especially after attending a memorial of the mother of a few kids I grew up with.  I realized, as we greeted each other awkwardly, that I never spoke to them, because I felt bad, embarrassed that my speech is hard to understand.  I was ashamed of my speech (and probably of being disabled).

   When I was in Santa Barbara last month, I saw an old friend who’s about my age.  We talked about getting older, and he mentioned that he’s having a hard time finding friends who are younger than he is.  I’m having the same problem.  I want to find people who are younger – people like my neighbors who are now leaving – to be friends with.  It is hard enough, as my friend can attest, and it doesn’t help that I am ashamed to talk. 

   That’s a real shame. 

No comments:

Post a Comment